[linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update

Johannes Stezenbach js at linuxtv.org
Thu Sep 4 22:47:09 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008, Manu Abraham wrote:

> Does it support ISDB-T, ATSC-MH, CMMB, DBM-T/H?
> Intentionally, no!  Experience with the old api development has proven
> that making blind assumptions about delivery systems is a bad idea.
> It's better to add in support for these when the hardware actually arrives
> and can be properly tested.

Full ACK on this one. Once an API is merged into the mailine
kernel we're stuck with it, no matter how ugly and broken it might be.
-> NEVER merge untested APIs

> If you would like to use any of these drivers now, you may pull the
> tree from http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto.  Drivers may be configured
> with 'make menuconfig' the same as you've done with v4l.
>
> Feedback, bug reports, etc. are welcomed and encouraged!

I only want to add a bit of historical perspective so people
are aware of the reasons why Steve came up with his alternative
API proposal, and why a number of developers seem to support it.

First let's look at the timestamps:
http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto/log/2a911b8f9910/linux/include/linux/dvb/frontend.h
http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto_api_merge/log/4c62efb08ea6/linux/include/linux/dvb/frontend.h

Then at some discussion from nearly one year ago:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.dvb/36643

Johannes
--
"Folks,