[linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update

Steven Toth stoth at linuxtv.org
Fri Sep 5 16:32:05 CEST 2008

Markus Rechberger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Johannes Stezenbach <js at linuxtv.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008, Manu Abraham wrote:
>>> Does it support ISDB-T, ATSC-MH, CMMB, DBM-T/H?
>>> Intentionally, no!  Experience with the old api development has proven
>>> that making blind assumptions about delivery systems is a bad idea.
>>> It's better to add in support for these when the hardware actually arrives
>>> and can be properly tested.
> I have Empia ISDB-T and DMB-T/H hardware and the corresponding signal
> generator for it here,
> it's right on my roadmap and work can be started within a few days.

With all due respect, their is a big difference between can and will.

Are you committing to adding ISDB-T and DMB-T/H support, and having that
code live at linuxtv.org?

Or, are these patches something that you'd want to keep in your
out-of-kernel trees at mcentral.de, like your other works? (This isn't
am opportunity to flame, it's a genuine question - I'm interested in
your future direction plans).

>> Full ACK on this one. Once an API is merged into the mailine
>> kernel we're stuck with it, no matter how ugly and broken it might be.
>> -> NEVER merge untested APIs
> should be the rule but there's always an exception for it too . o (
> thinking about KVM )

We don't add API's that can't be tested, that's just a basic rule.

>>> If you would like to use any of these drivers now, you may pull the
>>> tree from http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto.  Drivers may be configured
>>> with 'make menuconfig' the same as you've done with v4l.
>>> Feedback, bug reports, etc. are welcomed and encouraged!
>> I only want to add a bit of historical perspective so people
>> are aware of the reasons why Steve came up with his alternative
>> API proposal, and why a number of developers seem to support it.

>> First let's look at the timestamps:
>> http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto/log/2a911b8f9910/linux/include/linux/dvb/frontend.h
>> http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto_api_merge/log/4c62efb08ea6/linux/include/linux/dvb/frontend.h
>> Then at some discussion from nearly one year ago:
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.dvb/36643

This is a great one page email, worth reading everyone.

> by experience I'm sure most people won't read up the history here...

The S2API tree is available on linuxtv.org for people to download and
experiment with. It has HVR4000 DVB-S2 support, QAM, ATSC, DVB-S and
DVB-T. These are known to work with the exercising tool. We are testing
ISDB-T over the next few days.... It's preliminary.

I need to do some comparison for plumbers.

Why aren't you issuing a pull request that includes the 3200 drivers?

- Steve