[linux-dvb] ATI HDTV Wonder - unknown device ac00

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Fri Sep 5 22:13:50 CEST 2008

2008/9/5 Rebecca Sutton Koeser <rlskoeser at gmail.com>:
> I hope this the right place to ask this question.
>
> I bought an ATI HDTV Wonder because I thought I read that it worked in
> Linux.  But when I followed the instructions to load the firmware and get it
> working, nothing happens.  I see the notes on the wiki page (
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATI/AMD_HDTV_Wonder ) about alternate
> subsystem IDs that are not supported, but I'm not sure how to proceed from
> there.
>
> If someone can give me instructions on how to get more information about the
> hardware I will be glad to investigate.
>
> Here's the relevant output from lspci -v
>
> 04:02.0 Multimedia controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device ac00
>     Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device b359
>     Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
>     Memory at fdb00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
>     Memory at fdae0000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128K]
>     Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
>

> Can anyone tell me, is it likely / possible that this card will work in
> linux any time soon, or should I be looking into returning it and finding
> something more likely to work?

Rebecca,

When you read that the HDTV Wonder was supported, that would be the
cx2388x-based HDTV Wonder, which uses the NXT2004 ATSC/QAM
demodulator.

The card that you have is using ATi's own chipset, which currently
does not have a driver within the v4l/dvb linux kernel subsystems.

It is _not_ likely that the card will work under Linux anytime soon.
I'm sorry to deliver the bad news.

Regards,

Mike