[linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update

Otto Kekäläinen otto at sange.fi
Wed Sep 10 17:55:03 CEST 2008

Hello,

I've read this thread and also the thread "Future of Multiproto" from
fall 2007 and I fealt I should say a few words about this..

I am not an expert in driver coding or APIs, so I can't say much about
who's technical approach is the most elegant or best in any way. I just
hope you could agree on some solution that would allow Mantis work to be
merged into v4l main so that the number of supported devices in v4l
would grow. For me, one of the beauties of FOSS is that once somebody
has coded a piece of good code, like a working driver, everybody in the
world can benefit of it almost immediately and without artificial
restrictions.

>From my point of view the state of v4l is far from optimal: I bought
myself a Terratec Cynergy C HD DVB -card (not a very new model). To get
it working I first tried the most recent v4l drivers, which I compiled
from source, but it didn't work. After some work I finally got it
working by using Mantis' version of v4l with a patch by Pauli Borodulin
and a IR remote code table made by myself. Now it works perfectly as
long as my distro releases a kernel update - after those I need to
recompile the driver manually.

This isn't very user friendly or technically elegant. Having to do this
mych work is OK while the driver is under development, but after about 6
months or so this hardware should work out-of-the-box.

Having all of our combined work in the main v4l, which is delivered by
Linux distros to users, would make everything work out-of-the-box for
everybody doing the same a few months after us - that would be nice and
I think that should be the ultimate goal, right?

Thanks to you all for you efforts! Hopefully all Linux drivers could go
upstream and ultimately benefit everybody in the future..