[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

Steven Toth stoth at linuxtv.org
Thu Sep 11 04:59:26 CEST 2008

hermann pitton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 10.09.2008, 21:00 -0400 schrieb Steven Toth:
>> Christophe Thommeret wrote:

>>> Sounds logical. And that's why Kaffeine search for frontend/demux/dvr > 0 and
>>> uses demux1 with frontend1. (That was just a guess since i've never seen
>>> neither any such devices nor comments/recommendations/rules about such case).
>>>
>>> However, all dual tuners devices drivers i know expose the 2 frontends as
>>> frontend0 in separate adapters. But all these devices seems to be USB.
>>>
>>> The fact that Kaffeine works with the experimental hvr4000 driver indicates
>>> that this driver populates frontend1/demux1/dvr1 and then doesn't follow the
>>> way you describe (since the tuners can't be used at once).
>>> I would like to hear from Steve on this point.
>>>

>> Correct, frontend1, demux1, dvr1 etc. All on the same adapter. The
>> driver and multi-frontend patches manage exclusive access to the single
>> internal resource.
>>

> then please explain what is about the analog usage, which can always be
> first and don't tell it has to stay back, since you always sit on that
> bridge and else come nowhere ...

Hermann, I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try.

This has nothing to do with analog, I never suggested these patches
effected analog.

Either you're confused, or I am :)

The multifrontend patches are related to DVB only, the analog ports on
the cx88 remain untouched, unchanged.

- Steve