[linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update

barry bouwsma free_beer_for_all at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 11:17:06 CEST 2008

--- On Thu, 9/11/08, Uri Shkolnik <urishk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > It is from my perspective in Europe that I write,
> >
> I'm not so sure. As I see it, if it depends on number
> of users DVB-H comes last after CMMB and ISDB-T.

Then let them add their support ;-P   I just discovered that
I should be within reception range of a (subscription) DVB-H
mux, though sticking a directional antenna out the window did
not show any signal (but also not on other previously-received
frequencies) -- but climbing a nearby hill should net me a
useful signal, maybe two.

For DAB, a simple paperclip antenna will get me one ensemble,
a second should be receivable as well, and perhaps with a good
antenna, some others may appear.

So, I can test real-world broadcasts and get the actual hands-
on experience I need to understand and be able to help --
which is more than I can for the other missing standards, as
I'm not so good with the theoretical...

> I know the TerraTec device you refer to, and theoretically
> it can be used as DAB radio receiver. The current LinuxTV
> lacks the code to support it.
[...]
> There is a open source module from Siano that enable DAB @
> Linux.

Is this something I would be able to download?  (Feel free to
mail me privately if you don't want it available to other
developers, though they could certainly fit it into a suitable
API much better than I could)

I've searched with g00gle but haven't found any source to
download.  (And if drivers under Linux for the other modes
(T-DMB, DVB-H) are available, they may help me to better
understand those modes as well)

>   The problem is that this module is not a part of DVB
> and does not communicates with DVB in any way, but it uses
> its own character devices in order to communicate with user
> space applications. It may be converted of course to
> something that uses DVB, and also be more generic.

There is another USB DAB device out there (apparently no
longer available, and if so, at an `early-adopter' price)
with kernel support.
Perhaps there's some shared functionality that can be
combined, somehow, and make easier possibly adding support
for some of the small handful of other DAB-able devices.

Anyway, if I'm able to start to play with my device and DAB
under linux, that should keep me busy and quiet for some time

thanks,
barry bouwsma