[linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 15:51:50 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:51 PM, barry bouwsma
<free_beer_for_all at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does BSD == NetBSD here?  Or are there other developments
> as well that I'm not aware of?

for now it's netBSD, we're offering support to everyone who's interested.

>> As for the em28xx driver I agreed with pushing all my code
>
> Do you want to have patches for your repository, like the
> following (just an example, based on the NetBSD SOC source)

If you look at the chipdrivers, manufacturers often have independent
code there, as code can be kept independent in that area.
The bridge driver will contain operating system dependent code of course,
The drx driver which you mention mostly uses the Code which came from
Micronas, the module interface code which you looked at is linux
specific yes, but it's more or less just a wrapper against the
original source. It's the same with upcoming drivers.

Its just like Chipdriver - Linuxwrapper - linuxdriver; whereas it can
be the same with any operating system. This also keeps the incomplete
API (of any OS) separated from the available features of the
chipdriver logic. That way it's also rather easy to catch updates from
the manufacturers of the corresponding ICs.

Markus