[linux-dvb] Power management and dvb framework

Andreas Oberritter obi at linuxtv.org
Sun Sep 14 18:03:28 CEST 2008

Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Andreas Oberritter <obi at linuxtv.org> wrote:
>> The sleep callback gets called automatically some seconds after the last
>> user closed the frontend device.
>
> Great.  That sounds like the ideal place to bring everything down.  Is
> that scheduled via a timer?

No. I just saw that the timeout defaults to 0 seconds now. For each
frontend a kernel thread gets started when open() is called. After the
call to close(), the thread will be stopped after 'dvb_shutdown_timeout'
seconds. It compares the jiffies value to accomplish that. See
dvb_frontend_is_exiting() in dvb_frontend.c.

> And does it still get called if the
> frontend gets reopened before the timer expires?

No, and the old kernel thread will be reused.

Regards,
Andreas