[linux-dvb] Questions on v4l-dvb driver instructions

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 03:37:58 CEST 2008

2008/9/17 Jonathan Coles <jcoles0727 at rogers.com>:
> Your instructions at http://linuxtv.org/repo/ for obtaining v4l-dvb say
> to execute:
>
> hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
>
> But this returns
>
> abort: error: Name or service not known
>
> Perhaps there is a mistake in the instructions.

copy and pasting that line here works fine:

% hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
destination directory: v4l-dvb
requesting all changes
adding changesets
...etc

> It seems this checkout step is not really required, as you can download
> the tarball from a link on the page at the URL.

One advantage of using mercurial over the tarball is the ability to
run `hg pull` and `hg update` rather than re download the entire set.

> I also find it confusing that you mention dvb-apps, but don't talk about
> compiling it. Is it needed? Optional? An alternative?

dvb-apps AFAIK are optional. I have not yet needed them in normal
operation of a tuner card.

> Are there additional steps not presented here? I was unable to get my
> Hauppage HVR-950 to work on Ubuntu 8.04. Does this package support that
> device?

Do you have the firmware for the device as well as the driver?

On the mythtv-users list there was a success story using one of these
tuners. It details how they got it working before going into issues
using two of them:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/349205?search_string=HVR-950;#349205
He was using the mcentral repository, and Edgy but the steps are
otherwise the same.

Hope this helps,
cheers,
Owen.