[linux-dvb] me-tv doesn't accept its own channel file

Jonathan Coles jcoles0727 at rogers.com
Sun Sep 21 19:47:42 CEST 2008

me-tv scans ATSC channels on my HVR-950Q and creates a channels.conf
file. The file has channel entries, even though the Channel Scan window
reports nothing but "Failed to tune" messages. But me-tv cannot use its
own file. It complains, "There's an invalid channel record in the
channels.conf file." Oh, come on! Was this application tested even once?

My file contains the following:

CKXTDT:509028615:8VSB:65:67:2
CKXT:509028615:8VSB:81:83:3
HDTV RADIO-CANADA OTTAWA:521028615:8VSB:49:52:11
HDTV CBC OTTAWA:539028615:8VSB:49:52:10

(I live in Canada. Our TV stations have until 2011 to go digital and
they are moving slowly.)

A possible problem is the strange 2-byte character following "CKXTDT" in
the first line, hex 0810. Removing this line did not make the file
acceptable to me-tv.

Does anyone have experience with this glitch?