[linux-dvb] DVB-H support

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Mon Sep 22 19:10:48 CEST 2008

Hi Javier,

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Javier Gálvez Guerrero wrote:
> Regarding the ESG I don't know how to deal with it as I'm a complete
> novice with LinuxTV/dvb-utils. First I wanted to know if it was possible
> to get DVB-H streams with it and what hardware would be proper. I
> supposed that demuxing and selecting the contents would be nearly the
> same that in DVB-T, as the main difference is the time slicing in DVB-H
> streams.

It is very different from DVB-T (where the audio/video stream is
transmitted with MPEG-2 packet stream sections).

In DVB-H you need to discover the IP services with some scan utility (*)
and then you need to feed the service's IP data (which was requested over
a multicast join request, for example).

Everything you want is existing as of today, though it might not be easy
to find it (*). You can use dvbsnoop to get the information of which
section / PID carries which IP service and then you can run dvbnet to have
this MPE-section demuxed and get the IP-data on the IP-stack.

In dvb-apps you'll find a project called libesg which can be used to
process the ESG which is carried in a certain section. To receive the ESG
you need to use a FLUTE-application (e.g. mad flute).

Patrick.

(*) - I'm currently working on a very very basic implementation of a
daemon which is doing the service recovery and the
ip-request-to-mpe-section lookup for DVB-H. The project was on standby,
but I'm planning to fix the latest stuff and commit it to dvb-apps this
weekend...