[linux-dvb] hvr4000-s2api + QAM_AUTO

BOUWSMA Barry freebeer.bouwsma at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 18:59:12 CEST 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Hans Werner wrote:

> My CPU (3ghz core 2 quad) is fast enough to show live HD video
> [...]   ARTE HD throws some errors and stutters a bit.

A suggestion:  Write your arte-HD streams to disk, instead of
trying to decode them real-time.

If for some reason your CPU isn't quite fast enough, you can
later decode the arte-HD streams and see if the artifacts you
are observing are still present.

If there's some encoder parameter being used by arte-HD that is
not yet properly supported, then later you should be able to
decode that stream flawlessly (this is the case for me with ITV-HD
recorded before mplayer could properly de-interlace it).

Alternatively, I noticed myself that the occasional recordings I
made for the first couple days of the recent IFA EinsFestival
showcase showed problems in `mplayer', while those recordings
made later were as flawless as those made half a year ago, so I
do not rule out tweaking of the encoders used...

barry bouwsma
(without access to the DVB-S2 arte-HD stream so far)