[linux-dvb] Can't record an encrypted channel and watch another in the same bouquet. (also teletext doesn't work for encrypted channels)

Simon Siemonsma simon at siemonsma.name
Sun Sep 28 22:07:20 CEST 2008

I have a problem with encrypted channels.
I have a Conax CAM Module (by Smit)
Further I use a Technotrend T1500 Budget card with CI cart.

With FTA channels everything works just fine.
With encoded channels some things don't work.

I can't record one channel and at the same time look at another channel from
the same bouquet. (Kaffeine says: "no CAM free", vdr says: "Channel not
Teletext doesn't work (vdr says: "Page 100-00 not found")
When I start vdr I get the following in the log file:
"CAM 1: module present
CAM 1: module ready
Conax Conditional Access, 01, CAFE, BABE
CAM 1: doesn't reply to QUERY - only a single channel can be decrypted"

This looks like the CAM can't just encode one channel at a time.

But on the dvbshop Website they say:
"MPEG DEMUX: Multi-channel SECTION and PID filter configurable through
in vdr's CAM menu is stated: "Number of sessions: 5"

This looks like the CAM can handle multiple channels at a time isn't it?

Someone at
(German) pointed me in the direction of the linux drivers.

Is he right?

I understood from
that the CAM comes before the Demuxer and: "The complete TS is passed through
the CA hardware".
If I understood this right this means that onces I watch one channel in a
bouquet the complets TS is decrypted. So all other channels and teletext are
decrypted too. This makes it extra confusing why I can't record one channel
and watch another in the same bouquet.
Do I understand it wrong or are the drivers or the dvb software not mature
enough yet.
I use kernel 2.6.25.

Simon Siemonsma