[linux-dvb] SheevaBox as a media Server and a Fit-PC as a streaming client?

Lothar Behrens lothar.behrens at lollisoft.de
Wed Dec 16 16:12:51 CET 2009

Hi,

I am new here and start with a setup question.

The media or NAS server I think about: http://plugcomputer.org/

It has a high speed USB 2.0 port and a gigabit Lan.

Using Linux and VLC as the streaming server, would this be good for
streaming full HD videos from a attached USB hard drive?
The streaming client in mind: http://www.fit-pc.com/web/

Would it be possible to use this box (the cheapest one is about 299 €
+ shipping in germany) with XBMC or other stuff?
I mean saving the hard drives in the client box when a SAN is used.
Both could use Linux and thus fully controlled and tweaked for best
performing as a media center solution.

The reason why I ask is because my brother want's to save money and
don't like to waste money for hardware components that may not really
needed.

Other devices in mind were these components:

http://www.openpr.de/news/365458/Movie-Cube-S800H-Genuss-fuer-Augen-und-Ohren.html
http://www.tomsnetworking.de/content/aktuelles/news_beitrag/news/3828/index.html

But is there the opportunity to use the media from the movie cube to
be streamed to other computers?

Thanks for your help,

Lothar

-- | Rapid Prototyping | XSLT Codegeneration | http://www.lollisoft.de