[linux-dvb] RE : Compile error, bug in compat.h with kernel ?

Paul paul at whitecitadel.com
Fri Jan 2 10:52:17 CET 2009

Thierry Lelegard thierry.lelegard at tv-numeric.com wrote:

> De : BOUWSMA Barry [mailto:freebeer.bouwsma at gmail.com]
> >
> > On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Thierry Lelegard wrote:
> >
> > > OK, looking into the source RPM for the latest Fedora 10 update
> > > kernel (kernel-, it appears that
> > > the definition of pci_ioremap_bar in pci.h was introduced by
> > > linux-
> > >
> > > I assume that this is a Fedora-specific patch (or more
> > generally Red Hat),
> > > back-porting 2.6.28 stuff.
> >
> > There may be hope for a dirty hack...

> > which is not yet in my latest 2.6.28 git kernel...
> >
> > These both seem to be present since -r1.1 through HEAD,
> > so I would guess you can special-case this check into
> > a 2.6.27 version test.
> Good idea. After some more checks, it seems reasonable. I consequently
> propose the following patch:
> ====[CUT HERE]====
< snip>				\
> ====[CUT HERE]====
> Quite dirty indeed, but isn't it the exact purpose of the compat.h file,
> being the dirty glue to compile latest kernel code inside older kernels ?
> I think this would help all Fedora users to have this little path
> committed
> into the linuxtv.org repository.

> Thanks Barry for your idea.
> -Thierry

I just ran into this issue trying to compile v4l-dvb from hg against the
latest fedora core 10 kernel, I also tried the
core 10 original release kernel based on with the same issue and
was wondering if this patch will be committed or had already been
committed at 14:00GMT (Jan 1st) yesterday when I pulled v4l-dvb?

Compile still fails for me with the original error posted by the original
poster, and I was curious if the patch will be committed, or if I would be
best to look at a vanilla kernel to work around the issue or avoid them

I have a new Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 card and I believe that the latest
kernel from December 24th contains a cx88 driver that supports
this card/Conexant CX24118A/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR4000(Lite) DVB-S/S2
[card=69,autodetected] natively, avoiding the need to compile the latest
dvb sources completly?

I would rather avoid manually editing compat.h if I can to keep things
simple for when I change things later and forget I did that.