[linux-dvb] Problem Searching Channels

Andy Walls awalls at radix.net
Sun Jan 4 18:46:02 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 09:28 -0600, Eric Bauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to set up my new Happaugue HVR-1600 card.  During the scan,
> II get several minutes of output on the screen complaining about tuning
> failures,

These are normal when no service is detected on those freqs.

>  and then I get the following message:
>
> start filter:1338: ERROR: ioctl DMX_SET_FILTER failed: 6 No such device
> or address

Hmmm.  New one one me, I'll have to investigate.

What specific tool, version and command line arguments are you using?

> I have to kill the scan with a control-c at this point.  Can anyone give
> me some advice with this problem?

Make sure you are using the latest cx18 driver from:

http://linuxtv.og/hg/v4l-dvb

versions older than v1.0.4 of the cx18 driver have problems dealing with
the occasional PCI bus error.

Instructions can be found here:

http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Cx18

Make sure you have a good clean signal coming in:

http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:Improve_signal_quality

Regards,
Andy