Vanessa Ezekowitz vanessaezekowitz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 20:37:43 CET 2009

On Thu January 8 2009 6:06:49 am Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> I just subscribed to this list and already received a first posting.
> Unfortunately this list doesn't mark postings' subjects with the
> list name, as in
>
>   [linux-dvb] Merging V4L, DVB and Maintainers Mailing lists...
>
> where I could immediately see whether this is a "normal" email
> or a list posting.

Check the "To" field.  In the case of your message, it shows "linux-dvb at linuxtv.org" on my end.  Set your mailer to match this address in any/all headers and you'll probably catch everything destined for this list.

I'm of the opinion that [linux-dvb] and similar really should be *stripped* from the subject line of mailing lists in general, since there are other ways to identify mailing lists (such as the "List-Id" header field, which is also valid for this list).  I've set Kmail to sort in a similar manner, with each list's messages going into their appropriate mail folders.

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over.  Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."