[linux-dvb] How to use scan-s2?

Alex Betis alex.betis at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 15:54:22 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Hans Werner <HWerner4 at gmx.de> wrote:

> > If you have a stb0899 device, don't forget to add "-k 3".
>
> Oh. Can someone say what's different about the stb0899 here,
> and how -k 3 helps ?

Since I've added it, I'll try to defend it :)

stb0899 driver (or maybe the chip?) has some buffers inside that are not
reset between tunnings.
In that case messages from *previous* channel will arrive after the tunning
to new channel is complete.
Those messages will create a big mess in the results, such as channels
without names, duplicate channels on different transponders.
-k option specifies how many messages should be ignored before processing
it. I couldn't think of a more elegant way to ignore messages from
previously tuned channel. I use "-k 3" by myself, but after playing around
with "-k 2" saw that its also working. "-k 1" was still not enough.

The proper way is to have an option to reset that buffer in the driver after
tunning.
Since I don't know how it can be done and how it will affect tunning of
channels for viewing, I didn't want to go that way and solve it in scan-s2.

Regards,
Alex.