[linux-dvb] How to use scan-s2?

Mika Laitio lamikr at pilppa.org
Mon Jan 26 16:43:02 CET 2009

> As an owner of cx24116 device you should know that it doesn't allow any AUTO
> settings, so you have to create an INI file with all parameters explicitly
> specifed (FEC, modulation, rolloff).
>
> I believe this is the main problem.
>
> Also, please take the latest scan-s2, I've done some changes especily for
> cx24116 cards.

Thanks for the hint, I will try to investigate this more.
I didn't know this because the old scan from dvb-apps have seemed to
find channels even with this simpler Satellite scan data that comes
withing dvb-apps for Astra.

Could you or somebody else give me an example from the satellite conf file
where all those fields are filled in? I am little confused from those
parameters.

How about the channel data generated by the scan-s2 or scan with "-o vdr"
option. Should I also make some changes to those manually?

I think there must however be a bug either in scan-s2 or hvr-4000 S2API
driver, if it's will start scanning even if the given input data is
invalid. I mean that I think the driver and S2API should "hide away" the
differences between different S/S2 chipsets in a way that same data given
by the user space application should be acceptable for any card/s2-driver.

Is the bug in the scan-s2 not handling the error message from the driver
about using "AUTO" values, or is the bug in the driver not "correctly"
returning the error when all data needed is not set?

Mika