[linux-dvb] Re : Technotrend Budget S2-3200 Digital artefacts on HDchannels

Alex Betis alex.betis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 22:31:11 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu at gmail.com>wrote:

> Alex Betis wrote:
>
> > Manu,
> > I've tried to increase those timers long ago when played around with my
> card
> > (Twinhan 1041) and scan utility.
> > I must say that I've concentrated mostly on DVB-S channels that wasn't
> > always locking.
> > I didn't notice much improvements. The thing that did help was increasing
> > the resolution of scan zigzags.
>
> With regards to the zig-zag, one bug is fixed in the v4l-dvb tree.
> Most likely you haven't tried that change.

I use Igor's version, but he merges v4l changes quite often.
Can you point me to a patch or code that was changes? I want to make sure I
have that fix.

> > I've sent a patch on that ML and people were happy with the results.
>
> I did look at your patch, but that was completely against the tuning
> algorithm.

Well, you know, it works :)
What is the algorithm? I didn't make major changes beside increasing the
zigzag resolution for different scan stages and zigzag around the frequency
that previous stage was able to detect instead of starting from the
beginning. Sounds logical to me.

> [..]
>
> > I believe DVB-S2 lock suffer from the same problem, but in that case the
> > zigzag is done in the chip and not in the driver.
>
> Along with the patch i sent, does the attached patch help you in
> anyway (This works out for DVB-S2 only)?

I didn't tried to watch any DVB-S2 channels yet, not sure I have any FTA
with my current directions.
But I'll try that change later for scanning.

BTW, too bad the code has very few comments inside to understand all the
numeric values used for calculations.