No subject

Fri Mar 27 16:17:27 CET 2009

time except now I get an error saying av7110/bootcode.bin wasn't found
both by 'apt-file search bootcode.bin' or 'find -H / |grep
bootcode.bin'..  However, there is
v4l-dvb/linux/firmware/av7110/bootcode.bin.ihex so is that the file
users are supposed to use?  If so, it's poor form that a user should
have to rename files.

> If you were using a normal kernel tree, this would all 'just work'. I
> believe the main problem, other than the fact that you don't _want_ to
> see the obvious answer, is that you're using a tree which has a lot of
> the normal kernel bits stripped out, so the automatic installation of
> the firmware doesn't work?

I'm using kernel 2.6.29.1, however as previously mentioned, I use
v4l-dvb, not kernel dvb drivers.

> As it is, you just need to copy one file. It's _really_ simple. Which is
> why I assumed (and still assume) that you're just trolling.

While I agree copying a single file is simple, it's not so smart to
assume everyone knows how to resolve the problem.  As I've pointed out
there are loads of users who are only as familiar with Linux as the
installation howto's they used taught them to be.  There's nothing
wrong with using howtos, and not knowing everything about Linux
behavior and the kernel.  Additionally, the only "av7110/bootcode.bin"
I found was actually
"v4l-dvb/linux/firmware/av7110/bootcode.bin.ihex".  The safe/smart
thing to do is to ask rather then assuming you should (right?) rename
& relocate that file.  If this is in fact the necessary action to
take, it should be mentioned somewhere people can search and find it
(this thread possibly).

As far as the "trolling" nonsense..  You can continue to think
whatever you want, no matter how ridiculous.  I, and others I know who
are reading this thread but haven't participated in it, are just glad
you actually replied with useful information this time.  Thank you for
that.

To be absolutely clear; users compiling dvb drivers outside of the
kernel should copy v4l-dvb/linux/firmware/av7110/bootcode.bin.ihex to
/lib/firmware/av7110/bootcode.bin correct?

Thanks for your help.