[linux-dvb] Compro U80 Nearly there???

Jan Hoogenraad jan-conceptronic at hoogenraad.net
Thu Mar 4 23:51:49 CET 2010

Please see if there is more information on the tuner in the logging with
debugging switched on:

	sudo modprobe -r dvb-usb-rtl2831u
	sudo modprobe dvb-usb-rtl2831u debug=1

The ~jhoogenraad/rtl2831-r2 has two tuners hard-coded in the driver (no
separation of back-end and front-end), and logs the interactions with
those tuners in debug mode.

I maintain the wiki with info on the driver:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Rtl2831_devices

Please also try the new driver (alas with no IR remote support) from
~anttip/rtl2831u

peter wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu Karmic, and have a Compro U80 Device USB ID
> 185b:0150.
>
> To get this close to working I have:
>
> 1) Added 50-udev.rules which seem to allow the device to be recognised.
>
> 2) Compiled the ~jhoogenraad/rtl2831-r2 version of the driver.
>
> This gets me to the point where:
> - /dev/dvb exists.
> - my applications recognise the device
>
> - In the log I see:
>
> [   14.311735] dvb-usb: found a 'VideoMate U90' in warm state.
> [   14.311743] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to
> the software demuxer.
> [   14.312131] DVB: registering new adapter (VideoMate U90)
> [   14.312420] DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Realtek RTL2831
> DVB-T)...
> [   14.312521] input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver
> as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/input/input5
> [   14.312552] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 300 msecs.
> [   14.312558] dvb-usb: VideoMate U90 successfully initialized and
> connected.
> [   14.312589] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_rtd2831u
>
> So looking good so far.
>

> However, if i used scan, or an application like Kaffeine tuning fails. I
> know that the device works as I can get it to work on windows.
>
> So I have been looking at the RTL2831U data sheets which I know from the
> windows driver that this is based on. (I don't know much about this
> hardware I am trying to figure it out ). So this chip is just doing the
> demodulating and the USB interface. It must therefore be paired with
> tuner.  It seems logical to me (but is possibly wrong ) that if the
> demodulator is working and I cant tune, then the issue is with the tuner
> part of the driver. The windows drivers refer to both the MT2060 and the
> QT1010, but I don't know which one is being used. (I have not had the
> guts to rip the thing apart yet). Docu in the code of for the driver
> implies that it can support the MT2060 but not the QT1010 so I guess
> with my luck it is the quantec one.
>
> Has any one got any advice as to where I should look next? Has anyone
> got this to work? It seems to be quite close. I any suggestions would be
> appreciated.
> Thanks
> Peter

Jan Hoogenraad