[linux-dvb] gnutv: What causes DVR overflow?

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Nov 29 14:24:11 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 2:54 AM, David Liontooth <lionteeth at cogweb.net> wrote:

> I'm seeing great results with gnutv on HVR-1850 cards, but each recording
> triggers the message
>
>  DVR overflow
>
> What is this, and what are the typical causes? What can I do to prevent it
> from happening?

I don't know about gnutv specifically, but I do know that -EOVERFLOW
is returned when an application fails to read the
/dev/dvb/adapterX/dvr0 device fast enough.  It's the driver signaling
to the application that it did not read the file handle often/fast
enough and that the driver is going to drop packets to keep up.

The driver has a limited amount of buffering, so if you have a delay
that is too long between read() calls (or your read buffer is too
small to accommodate the data rate) you will encounter this condition.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com