[linux-dvb] analog OTA tuning

Martin Cole mjcoogle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 22:08:32 CEST 2011

Hi,

I need to tune analog OTA channels from a pci-e card.  I bought the
following card:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200  (I actually have
the 2250)

after installing and downloading the firmware etc, this works fine when
tuning the digital OTA signal that I can see locally.

I am unsure how to change the frontend to attempt to tune analog tv input or
even if this is supported, can someone point me in the right direction to do
this? It looks like I would need to change the tuner type in the driver code
(if analog is supported)

I am aware that no analog broadcasts exist anymore in the US, but where this
will eventually be used still has analog OTA broadcasts.
My test setup for now includes a digital to analog converter, which i would
like to tune with this card, once this works I would test with the actual
OTA signal.

Looking at the tuner chip on the card, suggests that it is possible. The
link on the wiki for the chip is outdated it seems, this is what I found on
the nxp site:

http://www.nxp.com/#/pip/pip=[pip=TDA18271HD]|pp=[t=pip,i=TDA18271HD]

I am happy to dive into the code, but wanted to see if anyone has done this
already or get any suggestions that you more experienced developers could
provide.

Thanks,
--mc