[vdr] [OT] mini-PCIE with Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder (BCM970012) for HD playback with free drivers

Torgeir Veimo torgeir at netenviron.com
Sat Jan 2 12:30:25 CET 2010

2010/1/2 Paul Menzel <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net>:

> I just share something I read on the XBMC [1] Web site.
>
> The Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder (BCM970012) seems to be an
> alternative for HD playback with free drivers [2]. You can get it at as
> an mini-PCIE card at eBay for 22 $ [3].

I'd recommend the BCM70015, which is the better part.

It works as a decoder only, making YUV 4:2:2 frames available, which
must then be blitted to whatever output framebuffer setup you have,
over the pci express bus. The API seems very straightforward, much
simpler that VDPAU, thus one could get a HW accelerated H.264 setup
without X11.

--
-Tor