Ian Bates ian_and_joanna at talktalk.net
Wed Jan 6 15:00:55 CET 2010

On 6 Jan 2010, at 13:22, Tomasz Bubel wrote:

> [...]
>> - Added support for DVB cards with multiple fontends. Note that
>> this only
>>  works for DVB cards where each frontend can be used independently
>> of all
>>  the others on the same adapter.
> [...]
> Any chance of using using DVB-T frontend on HVR-4000? This card have 2
> separate frontends. And as quoted on
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000:
>
> "Multiple frontends are supported: DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T appear as
> /dev/dvb/adapterN/frontend0 and /dev/dvb/adapterN/frontend1
> respectively.
>
> Due to a hardware limitation, the two frontends cannot be used
> simultaneously. However they can be used sequentially within the same
> application. The driver handles the mutual exclusion appropriately."

Ping.

I have this card and I am aware that the frontends cannot be used
simultaneously.  I was unaware of the statement regarding "sequential
use within the same application".  With even just a little thought I
can see that this is not at all the same as 'simultaneous.'

It does raise at least the possibility of a VDR setup config to use
DVB-T rather than DVB-S, instead of the game of symlinks that I play
at the moment (manual, one time choice of DVB-T or DVB-S, not
satisfactory and low WAF).

I can imagine that something like this is not a simple addition to
implement but if there is currently momentum in this direction then
more 'effort' at this stage will be more effective than at a later date.

I have not given this much thought at all and I am yet to explore the
potential of the SourceCaps patch.  These comments are really an
expression of interest in developments of the features of the HVR4000
(that I imagine most VDR/HVR4000 users share).

Enough of my babbling.

Best wishes,

Ian.