[vdr] XBMC with vdr-1.6.0 ??

Simon Baxter linuxtv at nzbaxters.com
Tue Mar 9 22:12:30 CET 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "scott" <scott at waye.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: [vdr] XBMC with vdr-1.6.0 ??

> One way thats been suggested before, and which I use, is to put xbmc and
> vdr-xine in a while loop inside a bash shell script and set up a button to
> stop vdr-xine, and a menu option in xbmc to close it down.  If you search
> this thread you should find some info, if not I can post my stuff.
>
> --
> Scott

Thanks Scott.  Yes please, would like to see how you've implemeted it.

I found a number of threads and have achieved the following:
* added a script (vdr.py) under the My Scripts which calls the xine
frontend.  But this flags an error "Errors in system config" or similar,
launches xine but closes xbmc at the back end
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=42205

* added a phantom button on the main menu, which I'd hoped would launch
vdr-py (lower in the above thread).  But this just crashes xmbc

What I want to achieve is a main menu button which launches an external bash
script, to launch xine, which keeps xbmc running in the background.  I
currently have mms running like this and it works really well.  I then use
the "power" button to kill xine (and turn off lirc), and fall back to mms.

Thanks
Simon