[vdr] merging correctly several .ts files to a single ts file or better mkv

Eric Valette eric.valette at free.fr
Sun Mar 28 17:45:22 CEST 2010

On 28/03/2010 17:23, Lars Bläser wrote:

> vdr does not look for any strukture of a recorded file it just cut's
> when the byte conter limit for a file is reached
>
> imho your method is not good
> you will loose data on the file borders which will result in gaps and
> async audio
>
> converting every file of a recording in single file mode will end in
> "open" data on start and end that will be lost so every end and start of
> a file means loosig a whole iframe with all following frames to the next
> iframe
> same for audio and that can get worse when audio anv video are
> interleaved be a "gap" i.e. audio ist 300ms later then the picture you
> will have a 300ms audio gap at the start aof every file

Granted. However, merging with cat *.ts > complete.ts + trying a single
pass mkv conversion fails miserably (allhough I have very up to date
ffmpeg version).

See fourth message in this threads ffmpeg complain with non monotone
timestamps and simply hang the computer.

That's why I asked if the 2GB limit was really gone to avoid splitting
the files.

--eric