[vdr] Undetected channels on transponders switching from DVB-S to DVB-S2

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Sun Sep 11 13:49:33 CEST 2011

Am 11.09.2011 11:37, schrieb Henning Pingel:
> And this tackles another small problem: I think that VDR doesn't delete
> any channels from the channels.conf in any case. So outdated channels
> have to be removed manually. Has there been an attempt to offer a
> functionality that VDR makes a note of those channels that get the line
> "frontend timed out while tuning to channel X" in the syslog and offers
> those channels for manual deletion via the OSD in a special OSD page
> called "Outdated channels"?

There's currently no 'official' method to track down channels that are
no longer announced. There's a trick however: Modify your channels.conf
so that all channel names start with [outdated], then start VDR and wait
for a full transponder scan to finish. All existing channels will be
renamed back to their proper names, and all remaining [outdated]
channels can be dropped after some grace period.

I use a more advanced variant using a small patch and a plugin, both
currently not publicly released: The patch tracks a 'last seen'
timestamp to all channels, where 0 means 'not seen since VDR start'. A
matching plugin holds a second channel list and periodically syncs with
the regular channel list, with the additional info 'first seen' and
'last seen' tracked persistently across VDR sessions. Also, the plugin
renames channels that are gone for some time so they can be identified
and deleted.

This has however two downsides: First, a VDR that hasn't been running
for some time will instantly mark all channels gone, and the same thing
happens if a source is temporarily unavailable - for me, DVB-T is
regularly not plugged, so all DVB-T channels are usually marked as gone.

Cheers,

Udo