[vdr] vdr-sxfe and IEC958 audio

Dominic Evans oldmanuk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 14:50:57 CET 2012

On 28 January 2012 00:31, Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula at iki.fi> wrote:
> I'm not sure why it worked before (the most obvious reason would be a
> different amplifier which doesn't care for the IEC/AES status bits, but
> I'm sure you would've mentioned it if that was the case...).
>
> Instead of "plughw:0,1" for the devices, use e.g. symbolic "plug:iec958"
> (may need CARD=foo parameter if you have multiple cards, in that case
> look at "aplay -L" output for the correct value) for normal playback and
> "iec958:AES0=0x06" for passthrough.
>
> The "iec958" ALSA device will automatically set default IEC/AES values
> when you open the device, making "iecset audio on" unnecessary. The
> AES0=0x06 added for passthrough will do the same as "iecset audio off"
> (i.e. it will set non-pcm bit 0x02 in the AES0 byte, default AES0 being
> 0x04 (non-copyright bit)) for the duration of playback.

Thanks! This info was helpful.

Thinks now seem to be working as expected using the following settings:

audio.device.alsa_default_device:plug:iec958
audio.device.alsa_front_device:plug:iec958
audio.device.alsa_passthrough_device:iec958:AES0=0x06
audio.device.alsa_surround40_device:iec958:AES0=0x06
audio.device.alsa_surround51_device:iec958:AES0=0x06