[vdr] Redundancy in Make.config and Make.global

Christopher Reimer c.reimer1993 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:36:21 CET 2012

I just noticed that both Make.confg and Make.global contain this block:

ifdef PLUGIN
CFLAGS   += -fPIC
CXXFLAGS += -fPIC
endif

I tried to remove this block out of Make.config, which leads to plugin
compilation problems, because -fPIC is not set.

After a closer look into the Makefiles, I've started to think that
there's a bigger problem.

The main Makefile starts more or less the plugin Makefile

Inside the plugin Makefile:

At first it defines PLUGIN (e.g. PLUGIN = dvbsddevice)

Then it sets the plugin compile parameters
(-g -O3 -Wall -Werror=overloaded-virtual -Wno-parentheses)

Afterwards it reads Make.global and it adds fPIC
(-g -O3 -Wall -Werror=overloaded-virtual -Wno-parentheses -fPIC)

And after that the Make.config gets included, which overwrites all
parameters. We're back at the beginning without -fPIC
(-g -O3 -Wall -Werror=overloaded-virtual -Wno-parentheses)

I think Make.global and Make.config are included in the wrong order.
Make.config should be included first, and Make.global afterwards.

I know that all plugin Makefiles need to be edited again. But I think
that is the only working solution.

Christopher Reimer