usbsnoop is a small but very useful utility program which can sniff/monitor, and log to file, all data exchange between an USB device and its driver under a Windows OS environment.
There are actually several such, highly related, utility programs and derivative works that are often casually referred to by the name "usbsnoop". Though such usage is technically incorrect, it is understandable due to their somewhat confusing and intertwined developments. An attempt to differentiate between these different apps, and illuminate their shared history is provided below.
USB Snoopy was released, in April 2000, by "Tom and Roland" (from "wingmanteam.com"), as a small utility for monitoring a USB device's communications traffic under a Windows 98 environment (see archived webpage). The USB Snoopy release consisted of three parts:
- a simple GUI program, SniffUSB.exe, to install and remove the filter driver
- a filter driver, UsbSnoop.sys, that monitors the actual USB traffic
- A debug viewer, dgbview.exe, was included to catch the output from the filer driver. (dgbview was written by Mark Russinovich from Sysinternals, which later went on to become a part of Microsoft)
Inspired by USB Snoppy, Benoit Papillault releases, in Mar 2001 usbsnoop v1.1, , which he describes simply as an "USB sniffer for Windows 2000".
- Aug 28, 2001 - Roland registers the project "usbsnoop" at sourceforge
- Oct 07, 2001 - 0.13 [wingman] ... interesting comment about the spin off project
- Aug 19, 2002 - Roland puts SnoopyPro 0.20 on CVS at sourceforge
- Jan 15, 2003 - usbsnoop Version 1.8, Benoit
- Dec 27, 2006 - SniffUSB V2.0, Thomas F. Divine 
Supports Windows 98 / 2000 / XP (32-bit only)
- direct download of v1.8 from here
Supports only Windows XP or later
A brief "How to use usbsnoop" v1.8
1) Make sure that your device and drivers are installed on Windows 2) Start usbsnoop 3) Plug your device and press refresh button in usbsnoop 4) Select and install filters for your device in usbsnoop 5) Restart your Windows 6) Start your favorite application for some seconds, then stop the program and close usbsnoop.
- USB Snoopy homepage -
- usbsnoop homepage - inspired by USB Snoopy, Benoit's usbsnoop is a Windows based USB sniffer utility which adheres to the WDM architecture
- SniffUSB 2.0 Official homepage - a derivative of Benoit's usbsnoop
- Microdia project - provides some information on using (Benoit's) usbsnoop or SniffUSB
- historical pvrusb website - has some info regarding the use of (Benoit's) usbsnoop
- SnoopyPro (hosted on the usbsnoop sourceforge page); also see its related usbsnoop homepage - SnoopyPro is derivative of USB Snoopy, and also incorporated some of fuctionality Benoit had added to early versions of usbsnoop