[linux-dvb] Re: HDTV & DVB / VDR (dscaler ..)

When watchin Tv on the Monitor, you usually get ugly atifacts when objects
move from left to right across the screen. The borders of the object get
those ooomm... "kammstrukturen" because you display 2 normally interlaced
pictures at the same time. The solution for this is usually leaving away one
of the two pictures, which reduces the vertical resulution to the half and
gives a very unsharp picture.

Dscaler is a windows-software that is used to make a progressive pictures
from interlaced pictures. The Programm is made to take the input from a
bt848/878 card and do some interpolations/calculations to get rid of the
artifacts. (The same happens inside of every 100 Hz Tv). I have not tried
the software yet, but it is said to be very good. Some people use a
windows-pc with a bt848 card just as a "linedoubler" to make
progressive/highresolution picture out of the output of a dvd-player and use
it for a high-end projektor for example.
As Dscaler takes input only from these bt848/878 chips, a possible setup to
watch tv is to loop the output of the dbvs card back into the framegrabber
card...

> > you better have a look at AVSForum (www.avsforum.com) which is the
> > 'official' discussion forum for Dscaler in the Home Theater PC thread.
Do
> > note that there is also no real integrated solution for Windows either.
I'm
> > not aware of any DVB reception software which works integrated with
Dscaler.