[linux-dvb] Re: Layout of rev 1.3 DVB-s cards

Hi Matthias, Andreas and all,

At 11:39 12/01/2002 +0100, Matthias Lötzke wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I am searching for detailed pictures of both sides of a DVB-s rev 1.3 or 1.5
>card.
>Would someone please be so kind to put his card onto a scanner or to make
>photos of it. This will help to locate a possibility to get RGB or S-Video
>output on rev 2.1 cards where the J2 connector is missing. I think, this
might
>help a lot of rev 2.1 card users to get better picture-quality.

I can't agree more with your idea!. BTW, the quality of the pictures of
your card are impresive.

I'm a newcomer to this DVB-s cards and I've tried hardly to know what I
should receive buying one of this cards, knowing the wanted features that
has been dropped on revision 2.1, but it has not been possible :-(.
At last, I ordered one with "closed eyes" and I'm "out of luck", as the
received card is Rev 2.1 :-((.

Lacking of a "solder side" picture of a version 1.3 card, I've spent some
time with the pictures of versions 1.3, 2.1 also the card that I've
received. At the area of J2, basically both cards are equal (of course,
the 2.1 lacks of J2); what I want to say is that there are nine small
components in a vertical row, between J2 and the 50 pins SMD memory,
that are for the 'Bias' (four resistors) and 'Compensation' (four
capacitors) of the RGB and CVBS outputs (see page 10 of the AV711x
datasheet, NTSC/PAL Encoder Interface section) in both cards, but on
version 2.1, six of this components aren't need if RGB outpus are
missing!!!. The rest of components in this area are mainly for filtering
and the CVBS output, so it's clear to me that the RGB outputs in J2 are
taken directly of AV711x pins, with tracks that go by the "solder side of
the PCB". Due the BGA (Ball Grid Array) package of the AV711x, if the
"balls" for RC_OUT, GY_OUT and  B_OUT are not passed to solder side, we
are out of luck :-((. However, on 1.3 cards, it's clear that this balls
are passed to the other side and that three tracks goes directly to pins
3, 5 & 7 of J2. My hope is that the same that the TT engineers have left
the Bias & Compensation parts for RGB outputs, IMO *unneed* in 2.1,
perhaps also have left the PCB_vias that pass the RGB ouputs to the
solder side :-).

Please!, it will be great if someone having a Rev 1.3 card and access to
a digital camera, can take a good pictures (at least of the back side of
the card, as a few dark picture of the components side is already at:

<http://www.geocities.com/buenavista18/hauppauge1.3.jpg>)

and make it(s) available to all (perhaps sending to Matthias, to put on
his FTP).

At 11:37 13/01/2002 UT, apieper@gmx.net wrote:

> [...]

Could you be a few more precise?; TIA. I don't understand German and the
only that I find there is the URL below, about how to build a Scart or
SVHS connectors, if the the card have the J2 connector, wich is not the
case for rev 2.1 cards :-( :

'Here an overview about the J2 Connector'
<http://www.lindy.cc/local/LinuxDVB.nsf/e95ed8396fac68cfc1256a010064762b/f50
a46f693a7e5b6c1256a0300654f91?OpenDocument>

Best regards:

--
Roberto Deza Asensio
Universidad de Navarra