[linux-dvb] Re: How to watch DVB-t TV (or 'am I wasting my time?')

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 15:13, you wrote:
> Okay, I have recently purchased a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-t PCI card. It
> works flawlessly in Windows XP, but I don't want to have to reboot every
> time the urge to watch TV comes on me, so I'd like to get it working in
> a decent OS. So far I have been unable to determine exactly how to do
> this, or even if it's possible, since the only successful setup I heard
> someone has (linuxstb.org) seems to be using a DVB card that has a
> built-in decoder to help things along. So:
>
> - is it possible to use software decoding of the TV stream
> - if so, how?

Yes, it's possible.  See below.

> It seems most of the effort people have been putting into things has
> been on DVB-s and DVB-c, neither of which are any use to me at all. I do
> not intend to buy a DVB-s card to use its decoder to watch DVB-t - that
> would be silly. I understand perfectly if software decoding hasn't been
> done yet, and hope that it shouldn't be all that long before it's done -
> after all, it's just an MPEG2 stream when you get down to it, isn't it?

Yes - it's just an MPEG2 stream.  The only difference between DVB-S, DVB-C
and DVB-T is in the tuning - the format of received data is identical.

Firstly, there is no nice GUI application that does everything for you.  VDR
(and it's assistant kvdr) are nice if you have a full-featured card, but
don't have a software decoder built in.

See a separate announcement I am about to make about a new version of my
dvbstream application for details on how you can view TV channels under Linux.

Best wishes,

Dave.