[linux-dvb] Re: is QAM DVB specific?

Tim Lapawa wrote:
> With the analogue module on the DVB-C card I got concurrent access to the tuner.
> Therefor I need to make a decission.
>  1.Shall the DVB API tune to analogue channels, then the DVB core
>  'knows' that these channels must not be demuxed and could handle
>  that.
>  2. Or should I play directly with the tuner through the v4l2
>  device in av7110.c and setup a v4l2 ioctl function with
>  VIDEOC_S_FREQUENCY?
>
> How would the demuxer react? And what is about some zigzag code? I
> found some discussions about that on other threads. Could they disturb
> the analogue frequencies?

I think one would like to use the common v4l apps like xawtv
to work with the analog tuner, i.e. VIDEOC_S_FREQUENCY etc.

I would suggest to use the input setting (VIDIOC_S_INPUT) with
values "DVB" and "analog" to also switch tuner control. When
input is switched to "DVB", VIDEOC_S_FREQUENCY whould return
EBUSY. If input is switched to "analog", FE_SET_FRONTEND should
return EBUSY, and zigzag etc. must be disabled.

my 2¢,
Johannes