[linux-dvb] Re: dvbtune / Nova-T unable to lock on frequency problems

At 17:11 15/04/2003, you wrote:
Two problems, both related to the fact that the instructions I have seen for using the Nova-T to watch TV on the computer have relied on dvbtune/dvbstream (piping to mplayer):

1. dvbtune -i gives me no information ("Nothing to read from fd_pat...")
That's usually what I get when I have the wrong QAM and FEC for the transponder. It locks on, but just doesn't read anything useful. I've seen you're supplying qam and fec on the command line and for all but the ITV and C5 transmitter QAM 16 and FEC 3_4 should be right. ITV / C5 have QAM 64 and FEC 2_3.

2. Piping dvbstream to mplayer does not even bring up the mplayer window. If I use -nocache with mplayer, I get:

Playing -
Reading from stdin...
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI FE_HAS_SYNC
Bit error rate: 85
Signal strength: 12079
SNR: 59367
all good here

Which never moves past this point. So it seems that dvbstream is not actually streaming anything successfully to stdout, despite saying that it is.
are you selecting the right PIDs on command line. For BBC-1 for example these should be 600 for video and 601 for audio (I believe these are the same around the country).