[linux-dvb] Re: Types and capabilites for HDTV ATSC.

After adding feedback from dvb-linux posts here is a summary
of additions for supporting ATSC frontends in DVB.

In the frontend.h header file:

Add a new  fe_type

	FE_ATSC

Add two new capabilities to fe_caps

	FE_CAN_8VSB		= 0x200000,
	FE_CAN_16VSB		= 0x400000,

8VSB is for ATSC in the U.S. I don't know where 16VSB is
used, but the LGDT3302 supports it

Mac Michaels

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 07:47 pm, you wrote:
> Mac Michaels wrote:
> > I am the owner of a FunsionHDTV 3 Gold card. I have the
> > analog TV and audio working with my modificatons to the
> > CX88 driver. I am working on the Digital TV (HDTV ATSC)
> > and want to integrate it into DVB as I seems to be a
> > good fit. The FusionHDTV card produces a transport
> > stream that seems to fit well with DVB. I found Chris
> > Pascoe's modifications to the cx88 driver and plan to
> > adapt them for my card. The LGDT3302 frontend provides
> > some of the signal quality data the other DVB
> > demodulators provide. It tunes the same physical
> > frequency bands as U.S. analog TV.
> >
> > I am not sure which fe_type I should use for the
> > driver. FE_QAM seems appropriate for QAM 64/256 that is
> > supported by the card. What existing or new type is
> > ATSC HDTV? Does the driver register 2 interfaces, one
> > for each type?
>
> I'd propose FE_ATSC because it's not straight QAM but QAM
> encapsulated in 8VSB -- similiar to the DVB-T/OFDM demods
> which encapsulate a QPSK or QAM modulation in a OFDM
> multiplexing scheme.
>
> > I think a new fe_caps may be needed for 8VSB ATSC. How
> > about:
> >
> > FE_CAN_VSB_8
> >
> > For fe_type FE_QAM the fe_caps should probably be
> >
> > FE_CAN_QAM_64 | FE_QAM_256
>
> sounds good.
>
> Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index