[linux-dvb] Re: Twinhan DST / TS204 and signal quality questions

Jukka Tastula wrote:
On Sunday 15 August 2004 22:52, Måns Rullgård wrote:

They seem to be having some weird standards compliance issues with
transmitting here anyway.
Here = Finland?  Care to elaborate a little on these issues?

Okay, I admit that maybe "standards compliance issues" was a little bit of a reach but problems still.

YLE/digita/whoever only a while ago announced that they're "fixing" the dvb subtitles. Something about sending an "End of Display Segment" bit in the stream. Still doesn't work that well with many (any?) STBs. Things like these make you wonder how many standard features they're still missing, after all these years. I'm sure a part of the problem is lack of interest as dvb subtitles aren't very commonly used but can it really be that hard to get it right? They've had 3 years already.
The specs are not clear and consistent in all cases. Thus developers are ending up working around the problems and making their decoders conformant to the streams of some particular providers instead of forcing the providers to transmit correct data (what is correct if the spec is unclear? - ).

Then the "mux-b" has some technical problems. They say it's because of "static bitrate" (or something like that). What happens is that the picture has huge blocks (doesn't look like the ones you get from low bitrate to me, more like errors) just before ~every other scene change. I can't see this happen on the philips nor the panasonic STB but it happens alot on my nebula. Not very annoying but still, I can definitely see the artifacts.
Sounds like a problem in your MPEG decoder. which code are you using, have you contacted the authors? Maybe they're interested in a samples stream of such a scene change.

Also on mux-b they seem to be throwing in some long (>15) GOPs every once in a while. Some apps complain about them being illegal. Maybe they're poor and got a cheap encoder or something.
This might result in somewhat longer sync times after tuning but should not really affect picture quality. In any case your decoder should be able to display the stream correctly. If you're using a open-source decoder please report the problems to the authors and try to make a test case available for them.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index