[mpeg2] Re: KFir and video signal lack

Rafal Glowacki wrote:

> If the video signal (PAL) is removed during encoding procees, bitrate of the
> stream falls down into ~1Mbit value.

If you've got it set to use variable bit rate mode, this is exactly what
I'd expect the board to do.  You're providing it with the simplest
possible video to encode: a static black picture.  Therefore, it should
be completely unable to achieve a high bit rate.  In fact, I'm surprised
it's taking even 1 Mbit/s to encode a static black picture.  I'd expect
a much lower number.

Now, if you're using the board's CBR mode, you are indeed seeing a bug,
technically speaking.  You can probably run the video through a
post-processor to add padding to the stream to force it to match your
desired bit rate.  The MPEG spec has a method for stream padding written
into it, so if you follow that method, you don't have to worry that your
streams will be unreadable with some decoders.

Good luck,
--
= Warren -- Video articles: http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/video/
=