[mpeg2] saa7113 driver for other boards

Thomas writes:
 > hmm, i was looking around the net for drivers for my asus v7700 deluxe video
 > card, and found that it used the Philips SAA7113 chip to power its video-in
 > capabillities.  searching the web, the only linux drivers i could find were
 > the ones for the kfir chipset, which include two files called  saa7113.c and
 > .h, also, when compiled, one of the modules that is generated is called
 > saa7113.  im assuming that this is a driver for the same chipset that is on
 > my video card.
 >
 > i looked at the source code, and it looked like it was somewhat integrated w/
 > the rest of the drivers (although, i dont really know much about linux device
 > drivers).
 >
 > i was wondering how hard it would be to use the driver that has been written
 > with other cards that use the chipset (in my case the asus v7700).  would
 > there be some rewriting of the driver necessary, also, would it be possible
 > to use it w/ the video for linux (1 or 2) interface?
 >
 > i might be interested in working on this, although, like i said, id have no
 > idea what i was doing...

The SAA7113 has to be controlled through an I2C bus, which on
your card would be controlled through the video chip.
Furthermore, the YUV data delivered by the SAA7113 has to be processed
by the video chip and overlayed over the normal video.

I think the ASUS card you mention has an nVidia chipset?
AFAIK, some people somehow hacked together an I2C driver for one of
the nVidia chipsets (don't remember which version or if they are all
the same in this regard) but I don't think anybody (besides nVidia)
knows how to control the YUV port and the overlay.
Without information about this you can forget it.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index