[mpeg2] Re: MPEG2 to Video / S-Video encoders?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:28:42 +1000
Greg Wickham <greg.wickham@grangenet.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has there been any movement with Linux support for hardware MPEG2
> encoding to Video / S-Video.

That would be a MPEG decoder, not an encoder.

Hollywood+ devices are common decoders that allow you to
play MPEG with almost zero CPU usage. There have been linux
drivers for these since day 1.

Also, I believe that the hardware of choice lately is
the linux compatible PVR-350 which does BOTH encoding and
decoding. It is a true codec in hardware.
You need the so called ivtv driver for that card.
http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=1

I believe that nowadays, all home-made linux PVRs are
built around this card.

   Bram

--
"For the costs of subsidized agriculture in the EU, we can have all 56 million
 European cows fly around the world. First Class." - J. Norberg

Home | Main Index | Thread Index