[vdr] Re: Improvement tip

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:44:37 +0200 (CEST), Matthias Fechner
<idefix@fechner.net> wrote:

> is it possible to display "Bitte warten..." if I go into
> recordings("Aufzeichnungen"), because my Harddisks are
> very big and it takes a long time to display the
> recordings.
> So i know that i in the right menu and vdr is running.

Much better would be to replace the shell command by C code, or keep the
data cached until the primary directory has changed or at least replace
the find with a ls command.

The first should be ok regarding performance, but has the disadvantage
that a change of the sorting order is not so easy to implement. I.e. I
use a different command sequence which moves the permanent recordings at
the end of the list (name starting with % and probably a lifetime of
99).

The second will still be slow occasionally, but will be fast most of the
time. Each new or deleted recording will change the modified time of
this directory.

The third should be easy to implement and be considerably faster than
the find command. How is this:
#define FINDCMD "cd %s; ls -d %s 2> /dev/null | sort -df"

I will try the last one this evening.

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index