[vdr] Re: Channel specific volume (was: Re: remember volume)

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> So, now that there seems to be such a big need for setting the volume of each channel
> (or, better, each PID) separately, the logical conclusion is to add such a volume
> setting to each audio PID (well, the "normal" audio PIDs, that is - I don't think
> it makes sense with the Dolby Digital PIDs). Using '-' wouldn't be wrong, since none
> of these values can get negative.

I was surprised that volume control got implemented.
After all, I have volume control on my amp.
Now we even get PID-specific volume control. Wow!
Of course, we should not forget that many channels broadcast
a different station at different times of day.
So maybe we should also have time-of-day specific volume
settings?

To put all that into a few hundred channels (or more, if
you have a multi-LNB dish, several dishes or a polarmount)
will of course take days of work. So maybe the EPG scanner
should sample the peak volume and auto-reduce it if it exceeds
the highest value?

Would that also help against the audio glitches that we
sometimes observe with the latest driver during live viewing?
Some of them are very loud, so I guess it will help.

I hope to have offended nobody by this not-too-serious posting.
I just believe that there are some real problems left to be
solved and some valuable-for-everyone features left to be
implemented.

Carsten.

The most beautiful things in the world
are those from which all excess weight