[vdr] Re: Timer-Problems

Marcus Kuba wrote:

> Hello...
>
> in addition to my previous mail I might add that I currently don't use the watchdog-function. This
> is just because it often happens that the watchdog hits even if vdr seems to run normal (while
> recording, while replaying, while watching) and I never had a case that vdr was not responding
> to the user. As far as I understand the watchdog, it will watch for the 'main loop' to be active and
> as far as I can see on my system, it will not become inactive or at least stops being inactive when
> the user does something. Maybe Klaus can put some debugging-output in the main-loop?

You can easily put that code in there yourself. Just add some lines like the
existing 'dsyslog(...)' lines.

> And
> would it be possible for the watchdog to be so kind that it does not hit while recording? I won't
> mind an inactive main-loop while the recording process is still working, but I do mind corrupt
> recordings because of the watchdog killing all threads although it where not necessary.

I believe you're totally missing the point of the watchdog function.
As long as VDR runs "normally", the main loop will be executed every few seconds,
and then the watchdog timer will be reset.
As soon as the watchdog timer hasn't been reset for the number of seconds specified
in the '-w' option, the SIGALRM signal is sent to VDR and handled in the Watchdog()
function. The only thing that makes sense to do there is to immediately exit from the
program, because any other action (like checking if there is a recording going on etc)
might cause yet another hangup - and then there would be nothing else that could
make VDR recover from it.

Klaus