[vdr] Re: VDR and analogue video in/out

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Axel Gruber wrote:

> >  - Adding analogue input for VDR generally
> This would be a nice - but not a cheap thing... - MPEG2 encoder-CARDs are not very cheap..

Well - my proposal would be to use software encoding to MPEG1.  On my 1GHz
machine that can be done in 25% CPU or so.  And I believe that the DVB-S
card can play MPEG1?

> >  - Providing people with only lower cost DVB cards (with no
> >    mpeg2 decoders) with a display solution.
> Hmm - why ? - what´s wrong in the DVB-S solution - the only thing what would be realy grat would be a full duplex mode:

OK - well in my case its not attractive to buy a DVB-S card when I can
receive almost no English language broadcasts with it.  It would be hard
to justify to buy the card purely for display of MPEG video.

Steve

Home | Main Index | Thread Index