[vdr] SV: deinterlacing and scaling for high-end progressive output on beamer

I do this ...

I don't have a TV but use a TFT monitor or a Sony 1272 CRT projector and
scales DVB images to 1024x768@72Hz using 'xawtv' under X. The DVB drivers
are already streaming the decoded video to /dev/video. Scaling is still just
starting under Linux but the XVideo extension under Xfree 4.0 and later
gives the uppotunities we know from Windows for selected graphics card. I
use the Radeon which unfortunately isn't supported the best. Apparently the
Matrox cards are the preffered in the Linux world.

I use a HTPC running windows for DVD viewing and has recently begun digging
into Linux when I found out this was where the DVB action was.

In near future I will try to build a new HTPC dedicated to DVB/VDR which
will use a Matrox or Intel graphics card since these are the best supported.

The quality of a signal from a sattelite is quite far from what we are used
to from DVD. The compression routines seems much more simpel and I doubt
they actually are flag based but I don't know that for sure.
Even the signal from Canal+ Blue which is the only channel I can receive
which sends all movies in 16:9 format doesn't come close.

But I agree that it would be great if more people found the interrest in
this to start porting DScaler to Linux.

Regards,

Henrik Rasmussen

Home | Main Index | Thread Index