[vdr] multiple instances

Hi folks,

I went into the recordings menu and wanted to delete a certain
recording. VDR stated that the recording could not be deleted. I tried a
few times and everytime there was the red error message and all my
recordings were shown unharmed with the recording I wanted to delete
still there.
I tried to start playback to find out whats so strange about the file it
could not be deleted and suddenly the screen went black and the channel
got resynced. I went back into the menu and all but three of my
recordings had vanished.

I investigated and found out that I managed to start a second instance
of VDR which also listened to the same LIRCD and deleted one file after
the other while I was only shown the printout of the other instance that
controlled the primary DVB card (in fact the only one in the computer)

Vdr started without the slightest notification about it being called
twice with identical video-directory, primary card and both instances
listening to the same Lircd.

I believe in 99% of all cases the user does not want VDR to be
instantiated more than one time on the same machine. He definetly does
not want to have two instances listening to the same LIRCD.

I think VDR should be atomic by default - means it should quit with an
error message if the user tries to call it a second time.
(Perhaps if some people do want it running more than one time - on
another DVB-card as primary with another config-directory - that should
still be possible with a special command line option.)

But most important - vdr should never attach a second time to the same
LIRCD, in fact vdr should not react to remote commands if it has no
primary device it can give feedback to.

CU
Ronnie
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Fachbereich Informatik
Fachgebiet Simulation und Systemoptimierung
Darmstadt Dribbling Dackels
http://www.sim.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/robocup

Home | Main Index | Thread Index