[vdr] Re: System requirements without DivX

Am Freitag, 23. November 2001 09:04 schrieben Sie:
> Hi List,

> Now i want to implement a dedicated VDR-PC. What are the minimal system
> requirements for handling two DVB cards (one DVBs and one Nova)? I don't
> want
> to do DivX, so only recording, timeshifting and watching DVD are needed.
> I have a Socket 7 Board (BioStar M5ATA with ALI Super TX chipset patched to
> host a K6-2 333), 128 MB and a 60 GB Maxtor disk.

I have only one (am I poor ;)) hauppauge dvb-s. my system has a celeron 266
which runs on a via pro+ mobo with 64mb ram and a 510mb disk (I'll upgrade
that in 4 weeks and I know that I can't record much at the moment). I'll try
to get it working with a cyrix media gx @233mhz.

> Currently i'm using the 2.4.0-4GB kernel from the SuSE 7.1 but i will
> upgrade
> the next days (to which kernel ?).

try 2.4.14

> Are the mentioned components strong enough to fullfill my requirements ?
> And
>
> what filesystem do you recommend (i've read some mails about the reiser fs
> which seems to be not the best choice for vdr)

my box runs with reiser fs (like my normal pc). I don't have any problems
with it.

> Thanks
> Stefan.

tobi