[vdr] Re: Warning - Newbie questions..

Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> axelgruber3@gmx.de(Axel Gruber)  19.12.01 16:57
>
> Once upon a time Axel Gruber shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >> I want to run VDR and output it to my TV. I understand that VDR
> >> requires at
> >> least one full featured card (the DVB-s ??) however I only want to
> >> use the DVB-t card until I can afford a satellite dish etc.
>
> >> Will VDR work with the DVB-s card not connected to a satellite ?
> >> Can I get timeshifting to work, or do I need another DVB-s card ?
> >> Is there a full featured DVB-t card available in the UK ?
>
> >That's a good question - i have tryed this some month ago -
> >and it don't worked...
>
> >The Problem was that the Driver gives back a "not Sync" and everything
> >was very slow...
>
> Have you had turned "EGPInfo" off? (EPBscanTimeout=0)
> If not VDR tries to fetch EPG ftom the "unused" card.
> If this card is not repsonding, VDR resets himself.
>
> But i assume: if one edits the channel.conf to use only the
> one card that problem should not occure, or?
>
> BTW:
> I have to EPBscanTimeout=0 because i have no multicoax/multiswitch.
> But i found, that the EPG info is always there in less than 200ms
> (Only an estimate: I switch the channel and can just realize that
> in the very first moment no info is shown but in far less than 1sec it's
> there)
>
> What's the advantage of scanning all the time for EPG/why is it
> required? (I don't think that Klaus made this effort just for fun).
> (I would like to avoid pure waste of power and turn all unused cards
> generally off. But if EPG scans are required?).

EPG scans are not _required_ for normal VDR operation.
The only point in using idle DVB cards for scanning the various
transponders and collecting their EPG data is to have the data
available when the user opens the Schedules/Now/Next menus.
Without the scans they could only display the data from the transponders
visited so far. With the scans the can present all data from all
transponders. For somebody who uses the "Master Timer", for instance,
it makes a lot of sense to have the EPG scan enabled, since that's
where MT get's its information from.

Klaus